Sunday, November 17, 2013

Kpub BBQ ~ Eating in the Dark.Fanned by Waiters.Cellphone Flashlights.Great Food & Service!

Annyeong Korea lovers!!!

I know that I've told you guys that my next blog would be about the Infinite concert, but my experience eating at Kpub was just SO UNIQUE, I just had to write this one first!!! XD

I've been wanting to eat at Kpub BBQ for so long now and at last, me and my Taiwan tour friends decided we should meet up after a long time and have a mini reunion. I suggested that I wanted Korean food so my bestfriend, Janel, who had eaten there before suggested Kpub and reserved our dinner last November 16, 2013 (Saturday).


 A wide variety of kpop merchandise!
Our reservation was originally 7-7:30PM but the others weren't there yet so we moved it to 8PM. Upon arriving and entering Kpub, I immediately saw the place that I've been looking forward to go, the Kpop merchandise section! It was just to the left of the entrance and you can see a wide variety of merchandise from albums, to posters, to stickers, postcards, cheering towels, clearfile folders, lightsticks, etc. It was like a mini-heaven for kpoppers like me.


Postcards of different Kpop groups

albums and clearfile folders

shirts, LS, keychain, etc.

albums & posters!


After my mini-kpop moment at the merch area, Janel and me decided to take a stroll before coming back while waiting for the others to arrive. We finally entered at around 10 minutes before 8PM and settle down in one of the side VIP areas that had curtains, our own TV, and a grand red chair at the corner. We were undecided whether to take the "Beat the Clock" buffet or the "No Limits" buffet. It took almost everyone to arrive before we finally decided to take the "Beat the Clock" challenge and enjoy the 1 hour buffet. Before settling down, Infinite H's "Special Girl" played in the background and I almost really jumped for joy. I know that none of my friends there knew the song so I just had to share my super duper excitement so I texted my fellow Inspirits and sang softly with the song.


Kimchi Rice & Soup of the Day!
We initially ordered 2 plates of all types of meat included in the package and waiters were already there setting up all our sidedished in mere seconds! Everything was so fast that we've started ordering our rice and drinking the soup for the day. We had a choice of "steamed rice" or "kimchi rice" and since I've never tried the "kimchi rice" before, I ordered that. The rice arrived in less than 2 minutes and we started eating our rice and the different side dished and salad while our meat are grilling. The Kimchi rice was really delicious but a little spicy. Everything looked mouth-watering and we all digged in as we knew that we had a limited time to eat and order.

Mixed Salad Green with House Dressing & Side Dishes

Chili/Sweet Sauces & Onions!




Steamed egg & Kimchi Pancake
We enjoyed the soup of the day first and I'm not sure what exactly it was but tasted like Miso soup. It was delicious and warm. There were loads of side dishes or "Banchan" that decorated our table. They include Kimchi, tofu, dried small fish (like dilis), and some greens that I couldn't identify. Next that arrived were the "Ke Ran Ggim" or Steamed Eggs and "Kimchi Pajeon" or Kimchi pancakes. I was so ecstatic seeing the steamed eggs and my friend immediately said that "Darlene! Steamed eggs oh! Naalala kita!". I am a great fan of all types of egg dishes because I love eggs. I was also excited seeing the Kimchi pancakes because it was one of the Korean dishes that I really love the most.


Finally, our meat was starting to be ready for eating! We had a variety of pork, beef and chicken. Their specific names can be seen on the photo below. I was really excited to be able to eat Samgyupsal again together with Chadol Bagi, Dak Kalbi, etc. There was a different variety of flavours and upon dipping them on the chili sauces, the flavor would just burst into your mouth and it REALLY IS DELICOUS! 너무 너무 맛있어요!!!!!

After just the 1st quarter of our dinner, the lights suddenly went out! There was a blackout in the entire Kpub!!! Good thing our area had our own emergency light that immediately lit on but it was still dark. Everyone was running like crazy trying to know and fix the problem but our waiters were still always with us waiting for our next requests. We were informed that the transformer on the electrical post outside blew and the whole The Fort Strip had no electricity. Nevertheless, we continued eating trying to see if our meat are already cooked with the dim light. We tried requesting for an extension of our time as we literally couldn't see if the meat was cooked and it was so hot. Imagine being in a closed space with no air-conditioning and eating spicy food at the same time! We were all sweating while eating already and drinking as much cold water as we could.
eating in the dark~

After a while, our emergency light died! It was literally darkness but we were all enjoying the once in a lifetime experience. My friends all knew that I would be blogging my Kpub experience and they all enthusiastically told me that this story would be a hit as it is something that no one can ever experience again. The only light we could see now was the red flame beneath our grill. My other friends brought out their smartphones and used it as our flashlight still trying to see if we have overcooked our meat! The waiters saw this so they immediately attended to us with their own flashlight smartphone on hand. They were holding it while grilling our meat. They were the ones grilling our meat now as we really didn't know how anymore in the dark. Haha.

cellphone flashlights to the rescue!


Jun & I XD
While in the midst of grilling, our waiter was willing to leave his flashlight at our table and while he was trying to position it in between the tissue and chopsticks holder, it kept on falling down. At last, another waiter, which was now a Korea, joined in and offered to just hold up the cellphone while the other was grilling meat and we were eating. Upon seeing him my friends all started to react loudly teasing me that I like Korean guys! We were all making such a big fuss that our Filipino waiter told us to talk to Jun, the Korean waiter, as he could speak in English. My friends were all telling me to speak in Korean but I've honestly not being practicing lately due to being super busy at work and I'm not that fluent at all! Also, in addition to this I was so nervous that I completely forgot what to say. Jun, the Korean waiter, started by asking if I could speak good Korean but I just said that I'm starting to learn and only know the basics. We ended up just speaking in English where I just included a few Korean words that fit the situation.

My friend, Clarence, then suddenly shouted that I love Super Junior, then Jun said, "Super Junior? They came here (Kpub)!" I was so puzzled and replied "Jinja (Really)??" Then he suddenly said, "Chok lang = Joke lang" I really LOLed at his pronunciation and at his joke. Then he told us again, "I really know one of Super Junior, you know Eunhyuk? He's my friend in Korea!" Then once again I easily believed him asking "Jinja???" in a shocked voice, and again, he said "Chok lang!" We all laughed so much at this and I'm so embarrassed at being so easy to trick. My other friend then asked, "How old are you?", then Jun replied, "I'm only 19!" Then we all didn't believe him thinking that it was only another one of his jokes while he was asking our Filipino waiter for his agreement confirming he was really 19. Then he tried convincing us again by saying, "Yes, yes, I'm only 19! 1994! I studied at FEU but I left school." Then we were now all curious and asked him why in a sad tone. Jun then told us, "I left school because I love working here!" Then before we could react again, he said "Chok lang!" And yes, we all laughed so much again and we were really having a great time with our Korean waiter.

Once again, my friends continued on teasing me and now told me to take a photo with Jun. Knowing that they won't stop until I do so and secretly wanting to take the photo, I grabbed my cam, stood up and posed with Jun while our photo was taken. I was really happy now and "kinikilig" as he was actually cute. LOL At this time, I really couldn't concentrate on eating as I've now become conscious and was too giggly to eat. Another Korean waiter passed by us and Jun then introduced him to us saying, "Everybody, this is Junho!" As the name is so familiar to me, I blurted out, "Junho? 2PM's Junho?" Then they just smiled and Jun telling me, "He is Junho's brother!" Once again, I laughed out loud at this and my friends suggested again that I take a picture with both of them! Once again, just after a while, I obliged to their request and took a "귀여워-Kiyeowo" or cute picture with both Jun and Junho.
Jun~Me~Junho Cute shot!

Upon getting back to my seat, I refocused myself after being so happy reminding myself that I had to eat and maximize the 1 hour that we had! We then continued with eating endlessly, wrapping our grilled meat in lettuce after dipping it with the two types of chili and sweet sauce we were given and included rice and onions in my wrap. The combination was just really awesome.

It was really hot now as there was no air-conditioning and eating kimchi rice and grilled meat soaked in chili sauce really made us all feel hot. We were all starting to sweat and drinking as much ice water as we could. Suddenly, 2 waiters came with rectangular boards on their hands and started fanning us with it!!! I think they heard our cries and now thought that this was something that I or other people will ever experience again. I looked outside to the other customers and we were the only ones being fanned. This truly proved how awesome the service at Kpub is and we were in awe at what we were experiencing now.
the white blurr is the guy with a board fanning us~

After a while, Jun came back again to this duty of holding up the flashlight cellphone, he the asked all of us if we had experienced and liked clubbing. Then, he suddenly made our light like the ones in the club. The flashing ones! He did this by quickly covering and uncovering the light on the cellphone he held. I then asked him to sing so as to have a club feel with music, and the only thing he did was make the beating sounds and this made us all laugh again! I can now say I had the best entertainment and fun at Kpub! Jun has talent in making everybody laugh at his jokes.
Mini Reunion with TW friends! The Korean pose is a must! X3

Finally, the lights went back on! The show must go on so we continued eating better now as we could see each other and the food at our table. One of the head supervisors I suppose approached us saying that in lieu of what had happened, we were all allowed to watch the live band that would be playing a little later that usually cost Php500 to watch. The band for the night was Route 70 and Fat Session and they sang a few classic songs that were really great. 


Our waiter finally asked us if we wanted to order our last orders as we had 15 minutes left. We ordered another round of different meat and I ordered steamed rice as I couldn't handle the spiciness of the Kimchi rice anymore even if it was really delicious. We enjoyed the last half an hour or so eating our samgyupsal, chadol bagi, and dak kalbi. I personally love the chadol bagi as the meat is so soft and tender, and the dak kalbi or sweet and spicy chicken fillet. It wasn't actually spicy but sweet and tender so I loved it.

Shike

We were all so full after just an hour of eating so much meat and rice! We pushed ourselves on trying to finish all the meat left on our plates. I really pushed myself to eat them piece by piece even if I was already full because they were just so delicious and I wouldn't be able to eat Korean BBQ again for a while.  We were able to finish most of our food and it is obvious that we were all happy and satisfied. After a while, we were all served a shot glass of "Shike" or sweet healthy rice drink that taste sweet and yummy. We all wanted more but I think it's not a refillable thing. 


There was a beautiful grand looking ride chair at the corner and we just had to take a few photos with it. It was finally time to pay and this ends our awesome and once in a lifetime experience at Kpub BBQ. I really would never forget this and it was nice as it was a first time for most of us to eat at Kpub! I'll definitely come back to Kpub again with my family and friends and I highly recommend it!

게이팝이 진자 대박!!!!!!!!! <3


That's all for now! I hope you all enjoy my unique Kpub experience! Be sure to try it out there! It's really one of a kind! It's a must visit restau for all Korea lovers out there~!




A great dinner @ Kpub BBQ, BGC!

Crisha, Me, and Janel shot at the "Colorful"



Yours Truly,
Darlene~

No comments:

Post a Comment